so you’re Just engaged? yay! i am all biz for you! you’ve got the date set and your venue booked and now your slowly but surely working your way through a (huge) list of wedmin tasks.
it can be so daunting when you start googling wedding suppliers, there are so many options out there! When it comes to choosing a wedding photographer, it’s important to find someone who can capture the feel of your day and whose style resonates with you. If you’re not sure where to even begin, I’ve made wee list of points below that will hopefully help you make your choice!
How to choose Your wedding photographer
do you LOVE their style, and does it match with your aesthetic?
- it’s so important to think of your own personal style and the overall aesthetic you want for your wedding photos. Do you prefer a more traditional, classic look, or something more modern and edgy? do you like the washed out, beige vibe (no, no we don’t) or do you prefer photos that are full of colour and vibrancy? (since you’re here I’m guessing that’s a hell yeah). have a look at the photographer’s website and socials to get a good feel for their style and how they shoot!
what is their approach?
- Look at the portfolios of several photographers and pay attention to their unique styles and approaches. Do their photos capture the emotions and moments of the day in a way that resonates with you? Don’t be afraid to ask any photographer you’re considering to see an example of a full gallery – i love to send an example wedding out to prospective couples to give them an idea of what to expect and to see how thier own pics might look.
what is your budget?
- Consider your budget and decide how flexible that is. weddings are expensive (I don’t need to tell you this!) but you don’t have to spend big on every supplier. choose the elements that matter most to you and let that determine how your budget will look. While it might feel like a bit of a splurge, investing in awesome photography and videography is totally worth it if you want to preserve all the magical moments of your big day in a way that speaks to you. Think of it as a gift to your future selves – a chance to relive the fun and emotion of your wedding for years to come!
how experienced are they?
- generally the more experienced the photographer the better pictures you’ll receive! don’t be put off if a photographer you’re considering hasn’t shot at your wedding venue before, as Chances are they have shot a wedding in a similar venue. a good photographer will be able to shoot in all settings regardless of available space and light.
are they very dead on?!
- Consider the photographer’s personality and how well you get along with them. You’ll be spending a lot of time with them on your wedding day, so it’s important to choose someone you feel comfortable with!
- Not all my couples feel the need to chat before they book in with me and that’s ok, but a quick chat over the phone or video call can be helpful to figure out if they are the one for you!
- as a wee side-note, i feel it’s so important to be an EMPATHETIC person in this job! This gives you greater insight into how athers are feeling and means you can adapt your approach to suit different personalities. this type of photographer really gets the best out of not just you as a couple, but also your family and guests.
considering your own preferences and the points I’ve listed above and you’ll be well on your way to finding the perfect photographer to capture your beautiful day! If you’re considering me as your wedding photographer and have some burning questions or would like advice on any other part of your planning journey, please get in touch!